Living and studying in an unfamiliar culture can be incredibly exciting, but also present significant challenges. The University of Michigan's Resilient Traveling website has been developed to help people think proactively about challenges they may encounter and build skills to help them manage stress and enhance their experiences abroad.
You can find information about common problems, watch videos about students who have traveled abroad, and learn about skills that will help you deal with a variety of challenges, including:
- Related Skills: Deep Breathing, Cognitive Defusion, Reflection
- Culture Shock
- Related Skills: Mindfulness, Reflection, Values-Based Action
- Group Conflict
- Related Skills: Reflection, Assertiveness, Values-Based Action
- Personal Struggles
- Related Skills: Mindfulness, Cognitive Defusion, Reflection
Use the following resources to develop cultural competency and the ability to appreciate and interpret other cultures.
- What's Up With Culture by University of the Pacific: Online cultural training modules for students going overseas.
- GoOverseas.com: Ways to Reduce Homesickness Abroad: Reduce feelings of isolation by trying local foods, making a bucket list, creating a routine and other ideas mentioned in this article.